Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Amsterdam - PG

February 28-March 1, 2008

So, here's Amsterdam. I have a problem, though, every time I sit down to write this entry, I never know how to... and I've sat down a couple of times to write it, unsuccessfully.

I think it's because we didn't do a lot, but there is a lot in Amsterdam that's the problem. We only had one full day there. And half of that day, it rained. And we were really tired by the time we got to Amsterdam. The break was almost over, and I was sort of aching to come back to Rome for sleeping in my own bed, and making my own food (even though European food is great, it is not cheap, and I can't sit around eating it in my pajamas if I'm not in my apartment...)

Anyway, being in Amsterdam, there are some more canals to be had! Amsterdam is shaped sort of like an onion... or it resembles an onion because of the way the canals break up the land in a horseshoe shape, like an onion.

It was a dreary cloudy day when we got there, unfortunately.

The Dam square was kind of cute, it had the National Monument on one side, and this parliamentary house on the other... that's not it... it's a Palace, sort of. But Napoleon's brother made it that way when the French were there, and they don't really use it as such anymore. There was also a Madam Tussauds, but we didn't waste our money. But there were cute ponies in the square.



This is the weigh station. The canal comes up right behind it and ends right there, so ships can make port, and then they would weight their goods, etc. However, it eventually became a place where groups (I can't remember the proper term) but mason's would be here, or surgeons... their club meetings sort of went on here. They used to have beheadings right in front of this place, and then they would perform the autopsies here. Apparently one leader used to get his kicks by watching the autopsies. What a creep. Now it's a restaurant. Guilds! That's the word... guild member meetings :)

And here it is from down the canal and at night. Kinda pretty.

And walking back from there, I walked past this bookstore with one book in the window. And I couldn't for the life of me figure out why there was one book, and then I look back and discover the whole room has just this one particular book in it. Hundreds of copies. I look closer.

It's Dionetics. Apparently the Dutch enjoy Scientology. Good for them. I walked away quickly before I could be offered a free screening.


Back when the plague hit Amsterdam, this is where all of the orphan children went when their parents died. It started out as all boys, but they changed their minds when all these poor girls needed a place to stay. And above the door, that's the sign for Holland. The three Xs in theory might be three St. Anthony's crosses, who was the patron saint of sailors. Or it might have been the way sailors (mostly illiterate) would sign their names. That's how it goes. That girl, she was our free tour guide in Amsterdam. She was kind of awkward, and really quiet one on one...

This adorable little child was feeding pigeons. I couldn't even help myself.

This is the smallest house in Amsterdam. It is only 1.8 meters wide, and it remains as such all the way back. I don't even know how that works... It's the little red sliver in the middle. Just something interesting.

And of course, the Red Light District. Named as such for the red lights that line the street. It was depressing.

Anyway, I'm getting a migraine again (no way!) so I can't type much more. If anyone wants to know any more about anything, let me know.

Amsterdam was lots of fun, and with more time, and in better weather, I think it would have been an infinitely more amazing time. But we did the best with what we had. And I really enjoyed my spring break. But it was definitely nice to come back to Rome with my own bed and sit around in my pajamas.

Sara comes this weekend and stays until a week from Monday. I'm sure there will be lots of pictures of me and her, prossibly. I can't wait :)

No comments: